Daily Trends Now
Daily Trends Now

Students elated as Dwyane Wade makes surprise visit to Stoneman Douglas High

Oliver was buried in a Dwyane Wade Miami Heat jersey last month and the 36-year old shooting guard has continued to pay tribute to him and others who were effected.

The students at the Parkland, Fla. high school were, to put it mildly according to what they posted on social media, pretty happy about Wade's visit.

Miami Heat legend Dwyane Wade received a hero's welcome as he paid a visit to the students of Marjory Stoneman Douglass High School in the wake of the recent shooting there which claimed the lives of seventeen people.

DeVos did not disclose much of what happened during the visit, except to tell reporters at a press conference afterward, "I told the student newspaper reporters that I would love to come back in an appropriate amount of time and just sit down and talk with them". Wednesday marked a return to normalcy at the Parkland, Fla., school, as it was the first full day with regular class schedules since the February 14 mass shooting. Wade said he had conversations with students about their activism, and he looked forward to "being more involved in the change that they WILL create". "As someone out here in the public eye, I'm proud to say I'm from this state".

Debbie Jacobson, a teacher at the school, posted a photo of herself with Wade thanking him for the visit and for what he has done with Oliver's family. "Joaquin Oliver may you Rest In Peace and i dedicate my return and the rest of this Miami Heat season to you", Wade tweeted after the game. Thank you for being generous with your time today!

On Saturday, Wade met with the Oliver family and gave them a pair of specially made shoes that included the name of the school and Joaquin's name.

follow

editors' picks

March 08, 2018
Software error causes mass Oculus Rift outage
For now, there's no timeline on a fix, but Oculus says it will update that support thread as it learns more. It was recently confirmed that Rift had overtaken Vive as the most popular VR device on Steam.

March 08, 2018
1 officer killed, 2 hurt in Missouri shooting
It's 7 mo to the day from when Clinton Officer Gary Michael was killed . "It's a small department", Sgt. Officials said they aren't sure whether the gunman died from police gunfire or a self-inflicted wound.

March 08, 2018
Windows 10 S Mode: Microsoft Rolls Out Most Recent OS
This isn't confirmed by Microsoft yet, and users will expect clearer details of these aspects of the S Mode shifting. Windows 10 S is described as a fully-functional version of Windows that is created to run smoothly on all hardware.

March 07, 2018
United Airlines To Replace Employee Bonuses With Lottery
Instead, the airline will be reaching out to employee work groups to make changes that "better reflect [employee] feedback". So, we are pressing the pause button on these changes to review your feedback and consider the right way to move ahead.

March 07, 2018
The Next Call Of Duty Is Almost Certainly Black Ops 4
Players are scouring Redwood Snow for clues about the next game, but it doesn't appear they've found anything substantial yet. If Activision will follow its previous schedule, then fans will only have to wait a month before an official announcement.

March 06, 2018
K Chandrasekhar Rao's Third Front gathers steam
Owaisi predicted that the regional parties will have a key role in the formation of the next government at the Centre. Mr Jogi also told Mr Rao that he would get the support of "like-minded people" for the proposed front, it said.

March 05, 2018
White House on lock-down as man shoots self
None of those rounds appeared to have been aimed at the White House, the agency said. "The President has been briefed". The District of Columbia Police Department said in a tweet that an "adult male has been declared deceased".

March 02, 2018
Thursday, March 1 Morning Forecast Discussion
That being said, regardless of any severe weather threat, winds will be gusty all day long, exceeding 35 miles per hour at times. As we end next week, there will be another cold front that will bring some rain for Thursday , Friday and possibly Saturday.

March 01, 2018
Turkish women sentenced to death in Iraq for IS links
Counterterrorism laws in Iraq allow the courts to sentence people even if they have not taken part in any terrorist acts. Human Rights Watch has raised concerns about the judicial process and branded the trials unfair.

February 25, 2018
Warren Buffett to retire from Kraft Heinz
As a result, Berkshire's full-year 2017 net income could jump to an estimated $52 billion, or more than double earnings in 2016. Over the past 53 years, Berkshire has grown its per-share book value at a 19.1% rate compounded annually.